About Me

Thursday, December 13, 2012

life of riley


One doesn’t want to sound flippant about unemployment. But there are circumstances – un certain âge, a long tax-paying career, an eternity of service (I almost wrote servitude) for the same company – which make it possible to face it with at least a measure of equanimity.

Certainly after 38 years in harness (or a staggering 51 if one counts the years of school, which I do), it feels extraordinarily liberating to suddenly be facing days of leisure such as have been the stuff of dreams for all that time.

On the other hand, it is with some trepidation that one realizes it is now time to take up those things – drawing and painting, designing and building a small rowing boat, planting a vegetable patch – which have so far been postponed for “when I grow up”.

We’ll see how I get along as a grown up. For the moment – and I hope I don’t live to regret saying this – the relief is immense.

No comments: