About Me

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

life lessons that are priceless – pirate chief (or, romance in the soul)

“Seriously, do you like to repose? Ye gods, I hate it … And when a man, seemingly sane, tells me he has fallen in love with stagnation, I can only say to him You will never be a Pirate! … After all boyhood aspirations and youth’s immoral daydreams you are condemned to sit down, grossly draw in your chair to the fat board, and be a beastly Burgess till you die …

To confess plainly, I had intended to spend my life (or any leisure I might have from Piracy upon the high seas) as the leader of a great horde of irregular cavalry, devastating whole valleys. I can still, looking back, see myself in many favourite attitudes; signaling for a boat from my pirate ship with a pocket-handkerchief, I at the jetty end, and one or two of my bold blades keeping the crowd at bay; or else turning in the saddle to look back at my whole command (some five thousand strong) following me at the hand gallop up the road out of the burning valley; this last by moonlight …”


Robert Louis Stevenson, in a letter to William Cosmo Monkhouse, 1884

No comments: